First off , I’m not going to go on some monotonous rant about positivity that you’ve read/heard 8,000,000 times. I know how difficult it is to stay positive when you feel completely, utterly, indescribably horrible. I personally struggle with depression and a roller-coaster of a life so trust me- I understand, and these are some things I do to keep myself semi-sane.
- I’m the kind of person that needs support. It doesn’t matter if it’s from one person or 80- I need somebody that I feel like I can talk to about whatever is going on. I usually lean on my super awesome and very supportive boyfriend of 3 years. He listens to me and will offer advice if I ask for it. If you are looking for somebody to talk to; parents, siblings, grandparents, significant other, teacher, adviser, friend… Anyone you deem worthy. I just suggest not keeping everything bottled up and then exploding.
- I pour myself into my work. Whether it be homework, blogging, planning my day, cooking, running errands- whatever. I pour my mind and body into what I’m doing. It helps me stay distracted while providing me with my need to feel productive.
- Depending on how bad I feel, sometimes I need to do something completely unproductive to clear my mind. Today for instance, I received very bad news. So, I played the heck out of Star Wars Battlefront and watched a ton of 90210 episodes. I focused on Naomi’s event planning and blowing up imperials with homing missiles instead of the news I received.
- I actually acknowledge my feelings. It’s okay to cry, and if that’s how you express your sadness- cry. Know that you’re sad and why and just accept that you’re a human being that has emotions.
- I try to maintain my yoga/fitness schedule. When you’re stressed out and sad is when you need it the most. Focus on your breathing instead of your problems, and don’t let your body go to $#!& because you’re sad.
- I take time away from everybody else. It’s hard for me to be around people when I’m hurting, so I stay away. I’ll go play a game or write; that’s what I’m doing right now. If you can stand it, take one of those pamper yourself baths. (With Jaedyn’s Natural Cosmetics- as soon as it launches!)
- I try to find someone that is going through the same thing, or better yet, someone who did and got through it. I’ve been wanting to talk to these two guys I know that are going/went through some of what I’m going through now. I feel like they can offer advice that will help me to stop free falling with my emotions.
- I avoid things that will trigger negative emotions. I try to steer clear of anything that will make me feel worse.
- I maintain my healthy diet because it sucks to feel mentally ran over and physically ran over.
- I do things that I know will make me happy. I’ll buy myself something small, or go eat some ice-cream loaded with hot fudge.
What do you do when times are tough?